Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Calm Before the Storm

So today was as the title implies, a calm before the storm. And after the storm. So I guess it was a calm between two storms. (Not bad storms though, just busy ones). The past couple days have been pretty intense like orientation, getting to know each other, getting adjusted days. Tomorrow morning is my job orientation to get started working full time. Today was a day of mostly free time in between all that craziness, which was nice, even though I spent most of my day running errands. We were assigned community teams this morning and had our first community team meetings. Community teams here are like servant teams back at home, theres the social team, the evangelism team, the prayer team, the special projects team, the housing/administration team, and the weekly meeting team. I'm not going to explain what each one is but I got evangelism team, which seems kind of self explanatory. We plan outreaches and help train the rest of the project in evangelism and just generally try to create a bold evangelistic culture within the project so it becomes a lifestyle for all of us. We had our first meeting which took about 2 hours and it was really pretty exciting. We went through 2 Corinthians 5:11-21 to break down why biblically Christians evangelize. We talked about how it was a privilege that God chose to use us to be his Ambassadors when He could easily have spread His message any way he wanted, and how even if the world sees us as crazy its because Christ's love compels us. Then we made our mission statement and planned the first outreach. Sunday we are doing a huge game of tug of war on the beach to attract attention and when people come up and ask us what is going on we're going to try to get into spiritual conversations with them. More on that in the blog entry Sunday night. Anyway then we had til 3 off and I did some laundry and made some lunch and did my dishes from lunch. At 3 we had our first action group meeting. Action group = bible study. It was really uneventful though we just went over some stuff we'd need to know for the summer, didn't take long. So we basically had another 2 hours of free time before dinner, which was already more free time than the first few days combined. Then we ate and had the rest of the night free, so lots of free time today. We watched the NBA finals which was interesting cuz everybody was from everywhere and had all different opinions on players and teams. Some guys were from kentucky and thought John Wall and Rajon Rondo were like the greatest things ever and were pulling for Boston just cuz they thought Rondo was like the best point guard in the NBA. Other people (like me) disagree and think that Rondo isn't that great hes just always open because the other celtics players are getting double teamed. (this is all just an example and if you don't understand a word I'm saying, bear with me for a second). Anyway so that was really interesting and after the Lakers won I made a target run with one of my roommates and got some shorts and a new razor. Now I'm back, and am probably going to go to bed after I finish writing this blog. I love you guys and I hope everything is going great back on the East Coast, please don't hesitate to text me with prayer requests or anything like that. Preferably not early there because of the time difference here it will be in the middle of the night but you guys know me you can call me at any time in the middle of the night if you really need me. I'd love to hear from more of you even if I may be too busy to respond.

1 comment:

  1. And you can text or fb message us with prayer requests too:-)

    ReplyDelete