Friday, May 27, 2011

A taste of heaven

So guys, the most amazing thing his happened to me and I could not sleep until I had blogged about it because I don't want to forget how I feel right now. This is why y'all should read the blog even I you aren't on my email list, because I'm not sending out an email update just unloading about an incredible experience. So here it is:

Quite a few of us from project were saying our goodnights getting ready to go to bed when we heard this very interesting Gospel music. It was in English but it had a very African sound to it and they were songs that we knew such as "In the Light" and even "Kumbaya." Bear in mind where I'm living is 95% Muslim. So after discussing whether or not we should o exploring after dark to find these people or not we decided to go for it. I'll save you the details of our search for them although it was quite entertaining it's not the point of this blog post. Th point is we found them and it was a taste of heaven. Let me tell you about them. They were all Africans, Senegalese Africans and they were the most incredible a Capella Gospel choir I have ever heard in my life. When we arrived they had just finished but they welcomed us in and aske who we were (it always goes in that order here). We explained that we were also Christians and had followed the music and we wanted to worship with them. Their faces lit up. We were already glowing at having found other believers and they were now glowing as well. We were both so mutually encouraged it was amazing. They began to sing for us and it became one of the most inspirational things I have ever seen and by far the most beautifully vivid display of the body of Christ that I have ever experienced. They sang with such joy and such passion it was unreal. However, more than that it was the fact that we were all worshiping together. It reminded me of the church in Acts where they were people from all over the known world at that time but the Bible described them as having everything in common. We were white, they were black, we were from north america they were from Africa, we had very different styles of music, but none of that mattered! We were all brothers and sisters in Christ ad had the same Spirit living inside of us. I know this was just a glimpse of what heaven will be lik one day when the entire history of the Church worships God together but it was so incredible I've never experienced anything like it. I just got a glimpse at the glory and beauty of God and His coming Kingdom in a very tangible way. I just tasted heaven.

In Christ,
Matt

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're having an amazing time. Thank you for sharing that with me & the rest of the people who are following your blog. As you know, I'm a huge fan of music. Isn't crazy what it can do?

    Glad you're doing well. Please continue to be careful & stay safe!

    Hurry back! :)

    ReplyDelete